Friday 5 November 2010

Searching out silver linings

Firework-themed cupcakes from The Hummingbird Bakery.
They were messy, especially the blue one, but worth it!
When we find ourselves struggling more than usual, it's the little things that make the difference. Hence the crazy themed cupcakes above, which put a smile on my face at lunchtime.

Everything has felt uphill today; most of the week, in fact. And yet, still, there has been much to be thankful about.

I can blog about the intense workloads, the relational tensions in the office, the sardine-crammed journeys home, the dreary weather ... and my rollercoster emotions to boot.

Or I can share my gratitude for the blessings that found their way into the madness.

It's not about wearing a mask - despite the sunny layout of my blog I am honest, and as open as is appropriate, about my struggles on the narrow path.

But we don't have to wallow in the dark place. He died that we might live; not have an easy life, but live - purposefully and joyfully, come what may. We can take our burdens to the Cross and leave them there. And, our load lightened, we can pour our hearts into searching out the silver linings that the enemy tries so hard to steal or hide.

So, I know it's not Monday but I'm sure you'll forgive me if I offer up an extra batch of thank-yous ;)

#166 Post-work knitting and a coke float
#167 Striping by myself ... and accepting the mistakes as part of the learning process
#168 An unexpected, much-needed phonecall from a dear friend
#169 A relatively stress-free journey on the day of a city-wide tube strike
#170 Breakfast with my best friend
#171 Catching up with sisters from my old church; conversation and laughter that nourishes the soul
#172 Finding out that the girls I used to mentor at said church are on BBM - and having a group created in honour of my getting a Blackberry *blush*
#173 The heart-stopping beauty of autumn - in particular the three little trees decked in red, orange, yellow and green that I passed on the train
#174 A tidy desk in preparation for a more peaceful start to the week
#175 Fireworks flying up from the balcony across my office
#176 A seat on the journey home
#177 My mother's homecooked love
#178 A simple evening of family gameshows
#179 Freshly laundered sheets
#180 Another follower on this humble journey

No comments:

Post a Comment