Wednesday 10 November 2010

Cake & Crafts: What it's all about

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I officially launched Cake & Crafts.

I don't want to give the impression that I think my idea is an original one - I know that there are hundreds, thousands of crafting clubs all over the globe. Cake & Crafts is merely a first for my small corner.

Many of my friends secretly love doing craft-y/old-fashioned things but would never admit it in public. And I think that's a shame. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. One friend used to affectionately tease me about being a member of the National Trust and vowed never to join - despite her passionate love for the countryside. She has since given in, but I get the impression it makes her cringe. It's for this very reason that I want this club to happen. Why are we afraid to march to the beat of our own drum? Provided it isn't unbiblical, we should be happy to do so - Soli deo Gloria.

Who knows, maybe Cake & Crafts will start a quiet revolution :) Another friend and I have an unofficial knit club and when she Facebooked about it, one friend deemed it "very rock'n'roll" and another said she knits too ... and now the two of them are going to do some knitting next weekend.

Here's what I posted in the Facebook group:
"Slow down. Make something. Eat cake.
Okay, I finally admit it - I'm old-fashioned. And I'm inviting you to join me :) I've had the idea to set up a crafting club for a while now and I think it's time to turn it into reality.
The concept - We get together to craft, catch up and eat/drink (I will most likely binge on cake but you don't have to!)
The reason - It's not about recreating the 1950s or anything crazy like that. It's about taking time to slow down, in the middle of the hamster wheel that is life, and do something calming and productive that requires thought (I'm sure we're all tired of running on autopilot).
Proposed details:
Date: The last Saturday of every month (launch date 30th January 2011, but we can do a pilot one earlier than that)
Time: 12-3pm
Place: Drink, Shop & Do, 9 Caledonian Road, King's Cross (2mins away from the tube station)
Cost: Whatever food and drink you buy at the venue
The point of the club is to make something, HOWEVER I am more than happy for it to just be a space to chill and do something nice. So if you just want to bring along a book, notepad or sketchpad, that's totally fine too - as long the rest of us yapping won't disturb you!
Now and then we might even do a group activity (e.g make Christmas cards).
I'm keeping numbers small for now, hence the secret group.
I will send reminders from time to time but you are under no obligation to join in. I just thought of you ladies when I was dreaming this up!
PS: D and I also have an unofficial Thursday Night Knitting Club from 6-9 at the same venue, which you're welcome to join. At the moment it's weekly but this may change."
We'll be knitting away tomorrow night, and I imagine there'll be plenty of cake. Maybe some of you will join us one day!

PS: I know, I broke my scarf photo promise. Tomorrow you shall see my newly-striped creation.

5 comments:

  1. Cake&Crafts sounds like fun! :)

    Your comment about your friend and the NT made me smile - I'm a member too, but quite unashamed, because I love going to all their properties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I love telling people about it and encouraging them to sign up, hehe. Welcome to the blog - was going to invite you to follow but I think you need a Google account for that ... ? And thank you for the lovely email too, will write back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to fly across the sea and join you. I have a knitty project that is taking way.too.long and cake makes me grin. Yes, I think I shall fly myself (or at least my heart?) over to your lovely evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please do. And I'm telling you, if you ever make it over here you will be welcomed with open arms. We'll visit Drink, Shop & Do. And the Cath Kidston store. And eat copious amounts of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ashleigh. And I'm coming with her :D

    CATH KIDSTON--OH DIE OF SWOON.

    and CAKE!!

    whyyyyyy ARE YOU SO FAR AWAY!???


    :)

    ReplyDelete