Tuesday 16 November 2010

Bits, bobs and thank yous

At my Tuesday lunchtime knit session, my crafter-extraordinaire friend told me that I might not be knitting accurately. Oops.

Dress from Bershka. I'm swapping the
boots for brogue-pumps to make the look
less western and more library girl.

The scarf looks fine, if a little tighter than you'd expect, but apparently my unintentionally bizarre technique (which leads to twisted yarn - I have to be honest, I can't tell) may cause difficulties when I start learning to purl.

I'm going to finish this scarf the Yarnbelle way and then my friend will deduce exactly what I'm doing wrong and help me out a bit more than usual when I do the next scarf (which will hopefully be moss stitch - one knit, one purl. Eep).

On the plus side, the transition from blue to red went smoothly. Hurrah. We're onto the final ball of yarn now - am hoping to have the scarf wrapped up (I found some lovely navy gingham tissue paper on Saturday) and hidden away by the end of the month. Then it'll be time to buy more yarn! I can't wait.
 
Speaking of purchases, I bought a new pair of shoes (needed) and a new dress (not needed, ahem) yesterday and plan on debuting them at the next Cake & Crafts meet-up on Thursday. I should point out - especially taking Saturday's splurge into consideration - that I'm not usually this indulgent :) But the dress was so utterly me that I couldn't resist (grainy photo above).

It's longer on me and a bit more fitted (long, willowy limbs I do not posssess!) but it looks lovely. Instead of boots, I'm going to wear it with these:

To brogue or not to brogue? To brogue-pump.

To brogue or not to brogue has been on my mind for some time. With ballerina pumps too summery, Converses too casual and boots too ... much, I'm left with few alternatives for nice covered shoes that work with dresses *and* jeans.

I finally concluded that while I definitely wouldn't be able to pull off proper brogues, which are too chunky and boyish for me (it would mean wearing dresses and skirts all the time, which is lovely but currently unrealistic), I could probably manage a pair of brogue-style pumps (softer and a bit more feminine). So voila. I'm sure they'll look just fine with my new dress, but wearing them with jeans might take some getting used to.

All this talk of stuff is making me think it's time to give thanks. Because there is so much to be thankful for. And a day late is better than never.

#191 Soft natural curls; subtle magenta lips; cosy grey knitwear - simple get-ups on simple Saturdays
#192 Avoiding the London Underground
#193 Slowing down and letting go of tightly-gripped plans
#194 An oasis of pretty in the middle of a concrete jungle
#195 Damsons
#196 Spending time in my own company
#197 Orange spice and cinnamon - the smell of Christmas in the air
#198 Planning festive surprises for loved ones
#199 John Rutter's hauntingly beautiful verson of The Wexford Carol
#200 Girlie fellowship at church
#201 Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels, and scones, at tea
#202 Writing some copy for my crafting friend - and hearing she's thrilled with it
#203 This morning's devotional (Luke 17:1-4, JC Ryle - quote below)
#204 A smooth stripe at last :)
"An inconsistent believer, whether he knows it or not, is daily doing harm to souls. His life is a positive injury to the Gospel of Christ.

Let us often ask ourselves whether we are doing good or harm in the world. We cannot live to ourselves, if we are Christians. The eyes of many will always be upon us. Men will judge by what they see, far more than by what they hear. If they see the Christian contradicting by his practice what he professes to believe, they are justly stumbled and offended. 

For the world's sake, as well as for our own, let us labor to be eminently holy. Let us endeavor to make our religion beautiful in the eyes of men, and to adorn the doctrine of Christ in all things. Let us strive daily to lay aside every weight, and the sin which most easily besets us, and so to live that men can find no fault in us, except concerning the law of our God. Let us watch jealously over our tempers and tongues, and the discharge of our social duties. Anything is better than doing harm to souls. 

The cross of Christ will always give offence. Let us not increase that offence by carelessness in our daily life. The natural man cannot be expected to love the Gospel. But let us not disgust him by inconsistency."

No comments:

Post a Comment