Tuesday 26 October 2010

Re-post #2: Sweet peas

In keeping with the theme, here's a post from last year about my first foray into gardening. I should point out that not all of these re-posts will be particularly meaningful. Some will be fun and light-hearted. The aim is to share a few of the posts I've kept private until now:

Chipped red nails in crumbly brown earth. 

I planted my sweetpeas this morning. I received a DIY sweetpeas kit from M&S, consisting of cream-painted growing bucket, compost and seeds. Sinking my city girl hands into the soft soil was a blissful experience. There was a lovely moment of careful calm as I gingerly filled the bucket, “scattered” the seeds – calculated placing, if I’m honest — and patted some compost on top. 

I don’t think I filled it quite as high as I should’ve, but it’s a bit late now. Hopefully it won’t do any harm. The tricky part was finding a place that’s warm but out of direct sunlight. Although the sowing season is March-May and it’s a perfectly pleasant blue-skied day, it’s not exactly warm. So the bucket is in a somewhat shady place. 

The nice thing is I can peep at it from my bedroom window. I keep checking on it, as though there should be activity by now. 

It feels good to have responsibility for something. Already I’m mentally scheduling check-ups and watering times … and worrying that the little seeds might not sprout. 

Yes, it’s sort of daunting too. I mean, how warm should they be? What happens when it rains? Do I cover the bucket with some tarp? And what is moist as opposed to wet? Call me crazy, but I think it’s a fine line. 

Eep. 

Apparently, I received the gift both to experience the pleasure of springtime planting and cultivate patience. I’m already feeling the effects of the latter. I can wait for the flowers in happy anticipation, no problem. It’s the nervous twitch of whether they’ll grow at all that’s killing me. I long to see a little fleck of green, just so I know that I’ve done it right. 

I think gardening could grow on me. It’s so relaxing and satisfying. All that mucky soil and tender planting. 

If only I wasn’t so terrified of bees and wasps.

No comments:

Post a Comment