Friday 15 October 2010

Just keep knitting, just keep knitting ...

My "scarf" is starting to look like a scarf. Clearly keeping going, even when I can't bear to look at it, is the way forward. Unfortunately I don't feel the same way about this blog. Already I'm starting to cringe at my writing and I've reached for the "make private" button several times (ok, such a button doesn't exist but you can't reach for a process ... )

In theory, the same principle should apply. Just keep x-ing, where x is whatever activity you're undertaking. But I loathe seeing my heart on paper. It just confirms that I'm sappy and cute when what I want to be is cooly detached (whatever that means) and tough. But I've started so I'll finish. Besides, I said this blog wouldn't be particularly public. I'm just not hiding.

Anyway, the scarf. I'm really enjoying it. Actually, when I'm at work all I can think about is going home to knit a few more rows. My tension is fabulously wonky but I'm starting to get the hang of the rhythm ... and with this comes the calm that everyone seems to associate with yarn.

I've decided that unless something goes horribly wrong I'm going to finish this particular scarf. I don't mind starting again but, thinking sensibly, there's no way it will look perfect first time round so I might as well learn from this one. I'm sure I'll see the homemade charm in the mistakes once it's completed.

Tomorrow I'm making a surprise lunch for my beloved. Pumpkin soup (from a carton, but two out of three ain't bad), porcini mushroom and butternut squash risotto, and blackberry crumble. I haven't cooked solo in so long, I'm really looking forward to it.

And speaking of blackberries, a new phone should have arrived in the post this morning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment