Wednesday 20 October 2010

Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache

Two things about me - I love books and I love cake. So anything combining both equals a very happy me.

Lately I've come to realise that I am a *total* cake monster. Honestly, I have no self-control when it comes to baked goodness and I don't even pretend to. So when I found out that the delicious 'Pistachio Pops' my friend brought along to our crafting session yesterday contained aubergine instead of butter, I started thinking. The initial idea of "veggie cakes" is rather unappealing. But the Pops were delicious and, while I certainly knew I wasn't eating regular Hummingbird-style cupcakes, I would never have known they contained actual vegetables had she not told me.

Veggie cakes would be kinder to my waistline, without forcing me to give up cake altogether (I know that sounds horrifying but it was starting to head that way - my wardrobe will testify); they would enable my mother to enjoy homebaked treats without launching into a spiel on how fatty they are and requesting only a sliver when she clearly wants more; they would enable my diabetic father to join in the fun, to a degree at least ... and I know my beloved would be intrigued by the idea of vegetables in a cake.

So I asked for the recipe. It comes from a beautiful book called 'Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache' (clearly the author was advised against "Veggie Cakes" - I know I'd balk at such a book). I'd seen it before - it was published last summer so, yes, I'm very slow on the uptake - but the use of carrots, which I loathe, and the idea of 'parsnip fudge' made me feel a bit queasy.




It turns out that lots of recipes in the book use beetroot, butternut squash, courgettes and other me-friendly vegetables. And I know many people who would appreciate some carroty cake love. So it's really just the fudge that's a no-go. Plus, there are a handful of recipes for jams and cordials too.

Some reviewers have complained about the whimsical writing style but, although the characterisation of every recipe is a bit much in places, I quite like it. And I love the fact that the character description for the raspberry cordial is Anne Shirley (of Green Gables fame) in reference to the lovely tea party she threw for Diana, complete with a delicious "raspberry cordial" that turned out to be red wine.

The difficulty is deciding what to make first. The Pops would be perfect to try out at Sunday tea, but the orange blossom cupcakes seem ideal for this time of year. Then there are the more elaborate Victoria sponges and chocolate cakes, which are the very definition of comfort eating. I may just have to flick through the book and point at random. Unless I land on parsnip fudge ...

No comments:

Post a Comment