Tuesday 14 December 2010

Glitter

I struggle to live in the moment when I know there's something daunting or difficult around the corner.

When my heart is not at peace.

Yesterday my boss asked me to attend a conference that would involve waking up before 6am and travelling for more than two hours. She gave me "first refusal" but really? Nobody says no to something like that unless they have a genuine excuse (apparently I-kicking-screaming-just-don't-wanna doesn't qualify).

My heart was not at peace. And the idea of going as a journalist (hunting down stories) rather than a delegate (sitting back and soaking up knowledge)? Most definitely daunting.

To set the stage for self-pity, I had managed to sprain my wrist. And my blog was lonely, which in all honesty? Made me sad. I had to stare at that black box in my sidebar for a long time and remind myself Who this writing venture is for.

As the working day drew to a close, I could feel the knot in my stomach. Don't want to go to bed early. Don't want to wake up early. Don't want to spend the day chasing scoops (unless there's ice cream involved).

I took a deep breath. Uttered a quiet prayer.

And decided this would be the day I purposefully enjoy myself despite the Dreaded Tomorrow awaiting me.

So?

'Sunnyside' - smells like oranges and leaves your skin covered in gold fairydust

I headed to Lush

Bought the sparkliest bubble bar I could find. 

And relaxed in a warm tub of tangerine-scented glitter reading my favourite book in the world.

My head insisted I couldn't have a long, luxurious bath at a time like this. 

My heart? Declared it's exactly times like these that call for sparkles and the March sisters.

Because there will never be a "better" time.

This moment is all we're guaranteed.

**********

There was still some fairydust on my skin when I interviewed people this morning.

But that's just part of the fun ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment